My name is Boris and I am a photographer. I live in beautiful Sonoma County (north of San Francisco) with my wife Sophia, our sons Jacob and Gregory (not in the picture yet) and wild dachshund named Fry. We like to say that he’s named after Fry from Futurama or that we got our inspiration from a french fry.
I love photographing people and documenting life. It is my passion. People were always my main source of inspiration. Human stories always fascinated me. Everyone has their story, one that creates individuality, their face, their expression. Face alone can hold life's experience.
My path to wedding photography hasn’t been a conventional one. When I first started taking photos, I never aspired to be a wedding photographer. Photojournalism and editorial work is what I pictured myself doing. I worked with magazines for some time, shooting editorial assignments. And I still do. For me, inspiration and ideas come from my exposure to these other forms of photography and every time I shoot a wedding, I am not just capturing beautiful emotional images with great light and composition. I try to tell a story. I try make my photographs feel like stills from a movie. And my experience helps me try something new every time and grow as a photographer.
Here are some "about me” facts to get things started:
- I got my driver's license when I was 28 years old.
- I can imitate French and Cockney accents. Russian even better.
- I did not drink coffee until I moved to US. Now we own a Chemex, stovetop espresso maker, ceramic dripper, numerous accessories and a coffee subscription to top it off. To say that I am a coffee enthusiast would be an understatement. I am obsessed.
- I would love to master carpentry and maybe finally grow a beard. A man can always dream.
- You can’t go wrong with an 80’s movie in my book. There’s no such thing as watching Ferris Bueller’s Day off or Back to the Future too many times. Die Hard! Indiana Jones! Don’t even get me started.
- I love long distance road biking.
- I can't stand vodka, but can cook a damn good borscht. Go ahead, ask me for the recipe.
- I have a degree in history but never really worked as a historian. While at school I learned Polish. All I am capable of now though is a couple of old songs that I can sing at your wedding. Maybe that's not such a good idea.
- My first camera was my grandfather’s old film camera back in 2004. First 5 rolls were ruined because i didn’t have a light meter. I am much better now. I promise.
- Dylan Moran is my favorite comedian and Black Books is my favorite sitcom. Don’t ask. It’s weird.
I would love to talk with you about photographing your wedding, family, or any interesting project you might have in mind. I mostly shoot in California, Oregon and Washington, but would love to join you in some exotic destination.
Now your turn. Drop me an email, we’ll meet for a cup of coffee (!) and talk details.